In an earlier post I talked about wanting to get lots of writing done in January. So how did I do? Well my house is reaching critical levels of chaos and there are lots of things on my to-do list that have graduated from important to urgent.
I notice the book isn't finished.
Yes, about that…
Go on then, what’s the excuse?
Well, I’d set myself the task of finishing the first draft which involved writing about 50k. I actually wrote more like 24k in the end.
Yes, yes, we can all read the progress meter, what happened?
Real life for one thing, I hadn’t really factored it into my writing plan. Nor had I thought about editing. The Vagrant was problematic in this regard. I’d prewritten January’s episodes but when I came to edit it I realised that a couple of the episodes didn’t work and so I had to write new ones.
I’d also written a story for a competition but I’d only written a first draft. Turns out it was more of a basis for the actual story I ended up with three edits (that’s developmental edits btw) and a few line edits later. I am much happier with the results though.
Finally with the WIP, all was going well until I hit a block. I’d written myself into a corner and my budding instincts told me something was wrong. I heard that as ‘you can’t write anymore’. For most of a week I moped about thinking that I’d ‘lost it’ but now I can see that I just needed to untie some knots and reshape some earlier scenes. It was progress but I’m still the same distance from the finish line.
I am happy with what I’ve done over January but it still niggles me that I haven’t finished the first draft yet. There’s this nagging feeling that if I’d really wanted to, really worked, it would be done.
So now I’m going to try and finish it by the end of February! Though there are still Vagrant’s to write and an anthology I fancy trying for (that has to be done by the end of the month).
We won’t hold our breath then…
Probably best not to.